As you will be aware we had a public meeting last Saturday in the village hall.
The objectives of the meeting were;
- Provide an update on the committee’s activities over the past few months.
- Deliver the results of the survey recently issued by the group.
- Explain the purpose of the expression of interest forms and how critical getting an indication of financial support is to our application to the Scottish Land Fund.
- Confirm that the community is still behind the purchase of the pub and coach house.
- We have registered our community benefit society company with the FCA, the Westruther Community Enterprise Society Limited will be the legal owner of the property and will manage the business after the purchase.
- We have produced costs for renovating the pub and coach house.
Funding sources have been identified.
- In order to deliver the renovations that are required, the community share offer needs to raise approximately £35,000 – £45,000.
- The business plan is being finalised and will be ready for the stage 2 application to the Scottish Land Fund.
- 90% of the respondents believe that it is a good idea for the community to purchase the pub and coach house.
- 27% of the respondents would be prepared to volunteer in the pub/ cafe/ shop.
- 79% of the respondents would frequent the pub more often, if opening times were extended and the premises was refurbished.
Public vote on the night
- When the question of whether the committee should proceed with the stage 2 application was put to the vote, all present except for one abstention were in favour, in total 62 votes!!
Local councillor Mark Rowley also attended to offer support.
Thank you for all your words of encouragement and support, it means a lot to our small band of workers.
The Westruther Community Enterprise Society Limited Management Committee.